FORUMS

The Form Tools forums are no longer active, but the old posts have been archived here. Please see the Help page on how to get help / report issues.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating records and resubmitting via formtools
Formtools 2.2.6

OK -- I know that I can add records to my database using an externam form submitting via formtools.

Question -- can I use an external form to update an existing record?

For example - I have my external form and in it a field for submission_id. If I complete that form, enter a submission_id that matches an existing record and submit it via formtools (process.php) will that update the same record in the database?

Or will something blow up?
With the existing code, an external form cannot update an existing submission. You an update submissions on the back end if you are logged in and have access to the form, so long as that view allows the user to edit the particular fields.

Hope that helps!
Alex
(Apr 27th, 2014, 7:23 AM)alexh Wrote: With the existing code, an external form cannot update an existing submission. You an update submissions on the back end if you are logged in and have access to the form, so long as that view allows the user to edit the particular fields.

Hope that helps!
Alex

Hi Alex - what if I pointed the external form to the same page that the back end uses (edit_submission.php)?

John
John,

That won't work out of the box unfortunately. I think you'll need to do some significant work to do what you want.
As Alex mentioned you won't be able to update a record with an external form out of the box. You might want to consider using the Submission Accounts module: http://modules.formtools.org/submission_accounts/

A user will need to log back in but will be able to update their record once they've logged in.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Joe